Life is pretty boring for me right now. I didn’t expect it would be. I’m in a new place, which I tend to enjoy, but my husband works until 8pm and my kids have been gone for two weeks. Metropolitan areas are not as simple to explore as small cities. Pretty obvious, but I’m one of those people that thinks she can do anything. Exploring this area will take a lot more planning and a little less spontaneous travel if I want to minimize getting lost. Since being here I’ve learned that if I end up in the sister city or at the airport, I’ve probably made a wrong turn and I’m not where I need to be. Thankfully, I’ve found a really nice map that has addresses and every suburb in the area.
At any given time I am totally and completely lost. I know how to get a few places, but any sense of direction I gained in Fargo has fled. So, though I know how to get to the lake, my house, the grocery store, the post office, the library, etc. I have no idea how to tell anyone how to get to those places and I have no idea what direction I’m facing. In the past I would have not cared what direction I’m facing, but now I live in a place where if I ever want to truly explore and go somewhere other than the places I need to go or the places that are right next to my house, I need to understand what direction I’m facing.
Here are things that are on my list to discover:
1. A bakery
2. A cutsie clothing store that I only window shop in
3. A cutsie variety store that I only window shop in
4. The perfect thrift store
5. A health food store
6. The farmers market–there are at least 10 so I should be able to find 1
7. Indie fabric (and craft) store–it would be wise to NOT find these until I own my own sewing machine or there will be trouble
8. Great mom and pop shops to take people when they visit. Breakfast diner, great place for dinner or lunch
9. Coffee shop we found one! I don’t remember how to get there and I don’t drink coffee, but their stuff is so good I would start
In addition to the discoveries, I need to memorize how to get to the museums and find one that is my favorite. In the future we’ll need to find a dance studio for the three of us. There is just so much to do here! Options, options, options! And I love to have variety at my fingertips.
That’s what I’m supposed to be doing this week, but I don’t really have the energy to do that much planning. Maybe next week. I’ll be living here a while, and hopefully starting a new job in the next few weeks, so exploring can wait. In the meantime, my goal is to stay found.